Tuesday, February 06, 2007

"I'm Off ToThe School"

I just found out that I haven’t lost my edge in linguistics in terms of English Syntax. That’s comforting actually. On one of my YM contacts' status, it read, “I’m off to the school”. So very helpfully of course, I IM-ed her saying that it’s actually “I’m off to school” as “to school” is actually functioning as an adverbial phrase in the sentence even though it seems like a noun. So it should rightly read "I'm off to school." How very helpful is that :) Helpful but irritating, I know. I'm a a born teacher, I guess. A full-blown nosey irritating teacher.

I’m the kind of person whom you don’t like to be around when you go to Malaysian supermarkets. As a teacher, I have a whiteboard marker in my handbag at all times since I couldn’t be bothered to have to remember bringing my marker pen every time I go to class. Since Malaysian supermarkets or malls would have all the signs in English and since they would just write whatever comes to mind as long as it sounds vaguely English, I would be the person who would covertly take out her trusty marker pen and correct the placards. At least the ones that I can reach anyway.

I haven’t been consciously thinking of all the basics that I’ve learned during my varsity days like semantics, pragmatics and syntax in my daily teaching duties but they are what they are: my basics. They formed me and strengthened my foundations. They have been so ingrained that they have become second nature to me and for that, kudos to my teachers for a job well done. My adequate background frees me up so that I can concentrate on the job at hand. It gives me the confidence to do my job without having to second guess myself every two seconds which is important because let’s face it, my mother tongue is not English. English is my second language.

What constitutes a second language anyway? That’s the debate that has lasted for generations. Does it have to be a language that you learned which is other than the language spoken at home? What if the language spoken at home is “English” but the broken version? For example, when your child misbehaves, you’d say, “Stop or mama beat” when the mother really means to say, “If you don’t stop that, I’ll spank you.” Does that mean that your first language is English simply because you use English words regardless of syntax?

What is my situation then, when I am equally comfortable expressing myself in both languages but I can only learn things formally/academically in English because the medium of instruction of all my post-secondary education has been English? What if I can talk about my feelings better in English rather than in Malay for cultural reasons because in we don’t talk about feelings in Malay without sounding like “drama swasta” (Malaysian version of the soap opera)?

In the former, I find that my vocabulary is very schoolgirlish because I never learn my own language after secondary school and for that I find myself grappling when I have to express nuances. To me, it feels like trying to do brain surgery with the kitchen knife. On the other hand, the latter is because I was brought up in a traditional conservative Malay household where we never talk about feelings. My mom is the strong silent type and I have the feeling like if she talks about her feelings, she would feel vulnerable and she doesn’t like that. As the results, she never talks about feelings. What does that make me? That leaves me with no real vocabulary in context to talk about feelings because I seriously have never heard it in real life or real conversation. Simply put, I just don’t know how and the only instances when I hear feelings being talked about, it would be in Malay drama which doesn’t really light my fire.


So I end up using English to express my feelings and to learn among other things. Where does that leave me in terms of first and second language? Whatever it is, I am still grateful that I have both languages.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger dueng said...

at least you still have one good language on your side while i'm totally stucked in between broken Malay language and broken english language.

as you vet through my writing, there are lots grammar mistake. and to be frank, my bahasa melayu also in chaotic condition.

(i bet you must be very busy correcting my sentence structure)

i found out that modern Malay hardly using Malay language correctly to express their feeling. more and more slang had been invited into Malay language thus make it sound so corny.

and only classic malay language have beautiful expression of feeling which we don't even bother to learn and appreciate it. not our fault totally due to technological advancement which enforced us to let go "unnecessary" elements in our life.

as for me, i'm not bother to express my feeling beautifully, i bother bout how others could understood what i'm trying to convey. language means to help people communicating thus if slang/bahasa pasar help us to convey our feeling, let it be.

second language? language beside your mother tounge is second language. by my understanding, when first time you talk, the first language you use is your first language.

in any linguistic class, i still hate grammar whether it's malay language or english language.

hw bout shrt form? SMS does change ppl lot. technological advancement once again take it place in affecting our life. LOL.

i can say i love to use shortform. easy to convey, save lots of space.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

No lah... :) I wouldn't do that to you...(correcting your comments) you seem like a nice person.. Muahaha... Plus, I don't do it consciously, it's just a reflex and if I take a moment to think about it I can stop myself from doing it.

Actually, I hold high standards for myself more than anyone else and I am also guided by a sense of appropriateness. You can use the SMS language with your pals etc but it is not appropriate to send that kind of language to your boss or someone you just met or in business environment.

I'm not saying that my English is perfect... far from it. I'm still learning and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. As they say learning starts in the cradle and won't stop until you're in your grave.

And Classical Malay, I love that.. I used to take that when I was in secondary school but again appropriateness plays an important role in its use in contemporary context. Can you imagine answering to the question, "So how do you feel that so-and-so said that she doesn't want anything to do with you?" with:

Wahai harap pengharapan yang beralaskan hasrat
Ringanlah bumi, maksudku berat
Aduh! Lamun tak rahim hadi mudarat
Boleh membawa melarat melarat
Hanyalah kelak ke timur ke barat
Laksana rakit putus pendarat
Tanjung darat pada seringan,
Tempat taman raja berjuntai;
Harapku berat langit nan ringan,
Mati kempunan lamun tak sampai.

Perfectly beautiful but not really practical in these times.

Anyway, peace bro...

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:12:00 PM  
Blogger dueng said...

wow...you really love language aren't you? i must said i'm totally mesmerized by the way you manipulating the classic Malay language. beautifully written.

yurp. SMS language pretty much "kurang ajar" to be used in formal email. but i use SMS language when SMSing with my boss. :P

btw, i admire your english language usage. it's totally cool to be able to write like you did. and very easy to read (to the eyes and mind).

btw, you're Libra girl rite? Libra girl quite fragile and quite sensitive thus make them easily hurted and deeply hurted. they easily empathy of others but most of the time, they suffered the most. they're the peace keeper, make others who involved in fight to be together again. they usually talkative, a bit naive sometimes.

am i rite?

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 4:38:00 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

Thanks for the compliments but I can't really take the credit for writing the Classical Malay verse. I'm good, but not that good :P. It's from the Malay oral tradition compiled by Za'aba. It's does talk about feelings, feeling of a person whose love has been rejected by the person he/she loves. Full of imagery and rife with drama.

About that Libra thing, yeah, I'm the classic Libran. All that you said and more but have been trying hard to be strong though, just so that I can function in this complicated and largely unjust world without breaking into tiny little pieces.

I have faith though that things can be better and I'm trying to do my part to that end. (Note the naive part hehehe).

Thursday, February 08, 2007 4:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home