Sunday, July 09, 2006

First Vacation Since I Started My Life as a Worker of the World

For your information, that started in 1997, so I have been slogging away for nine years before I decided "THAT'S IT!!" So I took the much needed rest at the ripe old age of 32. I worked when I was 23.. wow, that long? Twenty-three... looking back, being twenty-three was so far away...


One of the reasons why I took the decision to travel is because I have always loved travelling. It's just that there was never enough money for me to travel. Not to say that I've struck it rich since then but I just don't want to let that stop me. I mean, when do you really have money magically left over after you bought that lipstick that you really must have? Never... Nunca....


So I closed my eyes and booked my ticket, blackmailed my boss so that he lets me take the necessary leave - well, it's more not giving him a chance to say no... he just has to choose whether I go in May or June:). It worked.... note to self.... when dealing with men, give them choices, don't ask for permission... the answer is almost always a resounding "NO!" So I once was selected to go to Ohio University in Athens so I felt that that is the right choice. Plus I once hosted a friend for two months when he came down to Malaysia, so I figured that I can call in my favors now. And he happily hosted my vacation there. I can tell you right now if I had to pay for accomodation, I'd be broke by now! In a way I did pay for my vacation, I cooked him curry... lots and lots and lots of curry.... :)


I flew into Chicago after being 19 hours on the plane on the 7th June 2006. I enjoyed Chicago for three days- staying at a youth hostel in the LOOP.... well mainly trying to get over the jet lag actually. I was so tired I just took the Double Decker trolley for two days around Chicago. Round and round I went. I just snapped pictures right and left. The sad thing about travelling alone is that your picture is never in... you are the photographer. But well... I didn't care, I know how I look already:P I might be vain but not that vain (i hope).


I truly recommend staying at a youth hostel. You meet a lot of people and you really connect and make friends although the friendship might not go beyond that vacation, who cares.... I was very fortunate that during my stay there, the Chicago Blues Festival was in full swing. So a group of us from the Hostel walked over to the park with a large piece of tarpauline and sat there listening to the amazing blues... It was an incredible experince. I want to go back to Chicago and do it properly next time.
My style of traveling is so casual. As long as I know where I'm sleeping th) at night, the rest is just whatever comes my way or whatever fancy takes me. So there are tons of things I haven't seen in Chicago. And to me, that's structured enough for me:).


Next destination is probably Italy or Spain .... *sigh... All contribution to "Anisah's Traveling Fund" is deeply appreciated ;) if you donate more than 50 ringgit, you can get tax break from it. heheh. .... I'll even throw in a souvenier mug or something:):):)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home